
In the run-up to Easter, the most holy time of the Catholic calendar, we are meant to reflect upon our sins of the previous 12 months and repent. In the olden days, monks would go through villages flagellating themselves on behalf of the general populace. In modern times, with a shortage of monks, the anti-globalisation movement have taken it upon themselves to make the ultimate sacrifice and remind the rich bankers of their sins. I had a p.c. (no stamp, natch) from my nephew Scrumpy, who is back from India and girding his dreadlocks for some big gathering in London next week. His handwriting is dreadful, but it looked like "in case of arrest please post bail" ... ? These young people speak a language all their own.
Strange things are happening in my kitchen. It started a few weeks ago - just after the beginning of Lent, as it goes. I noticed a small puddle of washing-up liquid on the front left-hand corner of the kitchen sink, you know, that little flat bit where you dump your teabag. It was early in the morning and I wasn't totally compos mentis. I wiped it off and thought no more about it.About a week later it happened again. This time I was a little puzzled, and could find no indication where it had come from. The washing-up liquid bottle was in its usual place at the back, between the tap and the wall. There was no leak, no little telltale river of stickiness. Just this little patch of viscous yellow liquid on the front left-hand corner. I wiped it away and quickly forgot about it.
The third time, last Sunday morning, I really started to be concerned. The washing-up liquid bottle was sitting at the back, the kitchen sink was quite clean except for this patch of viscous yellow fluid. It was inexplicable, unless .... no, it couldn't be ...
This was starting to look like ... stigmata.
I raised my eyes to the ceiling, just to check if there was anything dripping from immediately above my head, and held both hands out palm up to check to my right and left. At that moment a shaft of sunshine hit the kitchen window and a passing boom box filled the air with heavenly voices. Well, hip hop, but it is 2009 after all. I felt like the divine St Dorothy just before the Holy Mother in the form of Glinda, the good witch of the East, bestowed upon her the ruby slippers.I am thinking about contacting the Vatican. This could be a real moneyspinner. Busloads of Austrian tourists would be queuing up the stairs to file reverently into my kitchen and witness the miraculous golden liquid appear on my sink. Perhaps I should keep it curtained off and only open it once a week at a particular time. A video link to the street outside might be required. I could even be .... (more heavenly voices) ... beatified ! .... my kitchen would become a place of pilgrimage, like Fatima or Knock. I could have thousands of tiny tin medallions made up embossed with the sacred bottle. Doing the washing-up could become a sacred ritual. I know it's a bit unorthodox for the church to endorse a cleaning product, but the bakeries and winemakers have been doing well out of it for years.
Who says there's no such thing as miracles? I am now scrutinizing my bagels more carefully.

28 comments:
Merciful saints of the oul galden syrup... tis a miracle indeed.
You'll be putting out the collection plate, and a wee drap of something strang for the priests of course?
Are you sure it's actually washing fluid, milady? Perhaps you ought to dip your finger into the next puddle and have a little taste.
"Busloads of Austrian tourists would be queuing up the stairs to file reverently into my kitchen and witness the miraculous golden liquid appear"
First Joseph Fritzl, now this. Those Austrians have some issues, I tell you!
Extraordinary Daphne! Yesterday I trod on a discarded tube of Snuggel Shrink and it oozed into the profile of Dr Miriam Stoppard. Fern 'n Phil are doing a special for Maundy Thursday.
Your quote of the week has resonance. It is also very easy to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a little ray of sunshine.
Daphne,
It's all in the presentation. You could que up heavenly voices for those who worship from a menu and hip hop for those that prefer al carte choices.
I personally think you've got a cash cow venture there. Just be careful Daphne. Although I don't have intimate knowledge of Catholicism, I've heard rumors of how they tend to negotiate (i.e., gangster) "a piece of the action for the church".
U
It could just be ectoplasm, a la Ghostbusters. You could still be on to a good deal though if you feature on a dubious cable channel for haunted houses. Then you'd get two audiences in one and thus increase your market share of the incredulous.
>>Then you'd get two audiences in one <<
More like an audience of two. Or one.
Ah! ah! ah! ah! ah!
Madam, I ask you pardon of all my heart.
You will not find bad, please, the curiosity that I had to see an illustrious one ...fabuliste as you are;)
And your reputation, that spreads itself everywhere, can excuse the liberty that
I took. But that diantre you done Tea!
The hallucination, the hallucination, you I say. What do you order your doctor for your tea?
Ah! ah! ah! ah! ah!
Madame, je vous demande pardon de tout mon cœur.
Vous ne trouverez pas mauvais, s'il vous plaît, la curiosité que j'ai eue de voir une illustre ...fabuliste comme vous êtes ;)
Et votre réputation, qui s'étend partout, peut excuser la liberté que j'ai prise.
Mais que diantre faites-vous du Thé !
L'hallucination, l'hallucination, vous dis-je. Que vous ordonne votre médecin pour votre thé?
whatever it is y'all are drinkin over there, sugar, i want some! xoxo
The big problem is the timescale. If you want to get the benefit of the apparation you don't want to go the official route: it takes them decades to allow the franchise and they generally make sure the franchisee gets a grisly end so that they get 100% of the take (plus tax breaks).
You need to get your sink on the Discovery Channel.
Free washing up liquid!! You are blessed.
Sx
As my mother would say," If Jesus wants to show up in your sink then he'll do it." It's not up to us to ask why. I do think it may be a good time to sell tickets...,times is tough!
Jimmy, I fear the wee dram might evaporate before the priest got here ... Weegie in the hoose, ye ken whit I'm sayin? (he won't get that, as he says my Scottish accent is incomprehensible).
GB, smell and touch suffice to know it is not edible. If it tasted like Golden Syrup, now that WOULD be a miracle.
Bart, Austrians will always be associated with Hitler and Fritzl, and rarely with Mozart or the Von Trapp Family. Sad but Dutroux.
Mrs P, small miracles happen around us every day, if we only had our eyes open. Who's Little Ray?
U, the Catholic church is always in need of funds. They love bling. You can never have too many solid gold candlesticks.
Mme Defarge, yes it could indeed be ectoplasm. The ghost of someone who loved washing up, perhaps? I should write to the Psychic News, or Fortean Times.
Autolycus, you underestimate the number of the credible, gullible and plain stupid. Not to mention the Catholics, Spiritualists, Sun readers and Cherie Blair.
Crabtree and Savannah, this happens too early in the morning for me to be Under the Influence. Crabbers, have you now become incomprehensible in two languages? Very good.
Kev, you're right, by the time the Vatican picks up the story the manifestations will have dried up. Or my dishwasher will have been mended. But at least the moment will have been captured on this blog - and you were all witnesses.
Scarlet, I think it may be an answer to somebody else's prayer. There must be occasional crossed wires in the divine communications system?
Beverly, welcome! Everybody, this is Beverly, she's from a very interesting family. Funny, the harder times get, the more likely the gullible will find the price of a ticket to see a snake oil salesman. Clairvoyants are rubbing their hands in anticipation.
Damn, I should read the Fortean Times myself more often. This may not be a shoe-in.
Austrians have only themselves to blame: all that Freudian psychosexual stuff they foisted on the world can screw you up good and proper.
I quite like the idea of having Saint Daphne to intervene for me - should the occasion arise.
Maybe Scrupmptious is joining the demo for the G20 meeting - coaches are arriving e'en now.
BTW is that dear Binnie Barnes? Binnie was my nick -name whilst nursing - surname then Barnes.
Dans ,Incompréhensible il y a ..."préhensible" ! :)
L'effet de style est-ce un stigmate ?? Est-ce du au pollen au moment précis où il atteint la base du style ?
Le filtre magique de la langue de Molière s'estompe ...Flop!Flop!Flop!
Cette petite tache visqueuse ! Sans remettre en cause la véracité du vécu ...N'est-elle pas dû ,tout simplement à un produit farceur d'origine Écossaise ?? Ou plus simplement un tag révolutionnaire en 3D !!
Milady, it's bat piss. In case of doubt, see Nursemyra.
Sorry, bat pee. I forgot my surroundings.
Daphne, Little Ray is my new squeeze - I thought you knew! I have kicked Lord Numb into touch; that man is a liability and patron of a local Owl Sanctuary. Ray, on the other hand, is a Pocket Adonis: you'd love him. Everything so compact and within easy reach. And convenient! I can just tuck him anywhere - under a bed, in the boot of my hatchback - and no-one's any the wiser. Do admit.
Saw your comment on Africa over at ?
I'd love to hear more sometime.
Gadj, Freud didn't stop at screwing up the Austrians. Now he has a British great-great-grandson called Samson MURDOCH Freud. Yes, that Murdoch. Scary. Anyway, tell me about your relationship with your mother.
Pat, is WHO Binnie Barnes? Re Africa: 'The Horror! The Horror!' I can't say more without compromising my chances with Barack.
Crabtree: produit farceur d'origine écossaise? Tu parles du haggis?
Inky, bat pee was just a small part of The Horror.
Mrs P, how on earth do you think I would know about your extremely complicated love life? You never write, you never phone ... a small man is very handy, doesn't eat much, and you can kit him out in children's clothes, or even doll's clothes if he's small enough. McChe was delighted with the Action Man suit I got him at a car boot sale, luckily for the local wildlife the gun wasn't real.
Yes, My Lady! Certe ! Amongst other things...They "aguiche" well the English with whisky of Scotland :)
My mother?? What's mother got to do with anything?!! I don't know why you had to bring up the subject of MY MOTHER I really don't.....
Top of the world, Ma!
Gadjo, I'm sorry, dear, it's just that, well, that penchant of yours for dressing up has got me a bit concerned ....
Gittel Enoyce "Binnie" Barnes, later known as Gertrude Maude Barnes (May 25, 1903 – July 27, 1998) was an English actress.
She born in Islington to a Jewish father and an Italian mother, and was raised Jewish.
She began her acting career in films in 1923 and continued until 1973 (her final role was in the comedy 40 Carats). Her most famous film was probably The Private Life of Henry VIII, which starred Charles Laughton in the title role, with Barnes as the unfortunate Katherine Howard.
She was married to film producer Mike Frankovich, for whom she converted to Roman Catholicism and became an American citizen; they adopted three children.
She died peacefully of natural causes at the age of 95 in Beverly Hills, California in 1998, survived by her three children, including production manager Mike Frankovich Jr., and producer Peter Frankovich. Her interment was located in Glendale's Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery.
The photograph looks like her as a fairy godmother - as I remember her.
But what about reflecting on your sins? tell us more about that bit
I think it's a ghost, but anyway you cut it, you can't lose. You can sell it on Ebay!
Did you know that that you can make cash by locking special pages of your blog / site?
Simply join Mgcash and use their Content Locking tool.
Post a Comment