
As an addition to my fitness accoutrements, I bought an "mp3 player", I think they call them, to relieve the tedium of marching, cycling and moonwalking. There's only so much ambient techno a girl can take. It took about six weeks to find out the difference between an iPod and a mp3 (price, it appears) and much quizzing of McChe, who knows about these modern contraptions. It's all changed since I had a walkman, Detailed perusing of technical manuals and several visits to Media Markt later, I finally came out with a pretty fuchsia pink one to match my hoodie. Then I had to figure out how it worked and put some music on it. Finally I was ready to pump. I think that's the expression.
Fantastic! I currently have 405 tracks on it and it's still only half full. Just think how many walkmans - walkmen - you'd have needed to have that much music at your fingertips. I find the Stones are very good for workouts, as long as you don't get carried away and start impersonating Jagger. I have to FF on Sympathy for the Devil and Brown Sugar now, since the manager came and told me off for doing the "woo-woos" too loud. 'YMCA' is also off the menu for similar reasons. The woman on the next treadmill says the eyepatch will be off next week, and is not going to press charges.
The biggest problem was getting the ear pieces to stay in. My earholes must be malformed, as no matter how hard I screwed them in, they fell out again within seconds. I eventually gave up and at the risk of looking like Lt Uhura from Star Trek, (although not a lot) used my Skype headset. Fully equipped for another hour of cardiovascular stimulation, I hit the gym again yesterday after work.
Friday afternoons are a good time, as many Brussels workers clear off for the weekend and you can get on all the machines straight away. I was delighted to find a near empty row of treadmills. I fired one up and stomped away through Jumping Jack Flash, Satisfaction and Tumbling Dice, and was just stepping up a gear for Midnight Rambler, when I noticed one of the trainers jumping up and down in front of me. A bit of one-to-one is always welcome, so I nodded cheerily and gave him the thumbs-up. He was doing a strange sort of routine, which involved making throat-cutting gestures, cupping his hands over his ears and pointing towards the exit. I tried my best to copy the choreography but he kept changing the moves, putting his hands on his head and looking increasingly red in the face. Eventually he jumped up and hit the emergency stop button.
Suffice it to say that standing out on the main road in one's sweaty pink tracksuit is not how I wish to be seen by my co-workers, some of whom were just making their way towards the metro. I did not wish to be mistaken for Miss Vicky Pollard innit. So I had no choice but to gently jog in a homeward direction, doing the woo-woos as loud as I could.
Fantastic! I currently have 405 tracks on it and it's still only half full. Just think how many walkmans - walkmen - you'd have needed to have that much music at your fingertips. I find the Stones are very good for workouts, as long as you don't get carried away and start impersonating Jagger. I have to FF on Sympathy for the Devil and Brown Sugar now, since the manager came and told me off for doing the "woo-woos" too loud. 'YMCA' is also off the menu for similar reasons. The woman on the next treadmill says the eyepatch will be off next week, and is not going to press charges.
The biggest problem was getting the ear pieces to stay in. My earholes must be malformed, as no matter how hard I screwed them in, they fell out again within seconds. I eventually gave up and at the risk of looking like Lt Uhura from Star Trek, (although not a lot) used my Skype headset. Fully equipped for another hour of cardiovascular stimulation, I hit the gym again yesterday after work.
Friday afternoons are a good time, as many Brussels workers clear off for the weekend and you can get on all the machines straight away. I was delighted to find a near empty row of treadmills. I fired one up and stomped away through Jumping Jack Flash, Satisfaction and Tumbling Dice, and was just stepping up a gear for Midnight Rambler, when I noticed one of the trainers jumping up and down in front of me. A bit of one-to-one is always welcome, so I nodded cheerily and gave him the thumbs-up. He was doing a strange sort of routine, which involved making throat-cutting gestures, cupping his hands over his ears and pointing towards the exit. I tried my best to copy the choreography but he kept changing the moves, putting his hands on his head and looking increasingly red in the face. Eventually he jumped up and hit the emergency stop button.
Suffice it to say that standing out on the main road in one's sweaty pink tracksuit is not how I wish to be seen by my co-workers, some of whom were just making their way towards the metro. I did not wish to be mistaken for Miss Vicky Pollard innit. So I had no choice but to gently jog in a homeward direction, doing the woo-woos as loud as I could.
24 comments:
Jagger is such an old poseur, milady. I would recommend You Sexy Thing by Hot Chocolate while you're puffing away. Keeps the spirits up.
'I'm too sexy for my shirt' by Right Said Fred may get you into the mood - as long as you keep it on.
You're obviously outstandingly fit if you still have puff left for the 'woo woos'. I can barely let a 'w' drop from my lips when I'm on the cross trainer. However, I am becoming adept at lip-synching, even if it suggests deranged muttterings.
Tee Hee.
We used Sympathy for the Devil in one of our village Pantomimes.
I know a lot about 'woo hoos'...
Brilliant.
Sx
Under My Thumb also has agreat riff, though I think the last time the Stones performed it there was a stabbing, so watch it! You could do a lot worse than looking like Lt Uhura from Star Trek - keep up the good work :-)
Daphne,
You in a pink hoodie dancing on a workout machine to the Stones? I reminded of what a charming lady recently said to me, "Be still my heart".
I'm gonna slow it down with something by Dexter Gordon called, "Don't Explain"
U
Don't forget your air guitar and air drums too...wooo hoooo......
GB, nothing wrong with an old poseur, as well you know my friend! I would have thought gorillas would like the Stones, they could join in on the woo-woos. Hot Chocolate is exactly what I'm trying to avoid at the moment, thanks all the same.
Zed, keep what on, the song or the shirt? While we're on novelty songs, check out Captain Sensible's "Wot" on the sidebar. A timeless classic.
Mme DeFarge, it's more "hoo-hoo" than "woo-woo" towards the end. It's quite a long track. My trainer was quite cross after he had to hit the emergency stop.
Scarlet, did the panto demon shoot up out of a trapdoor and go straight into a Jagger strut? Mick did that on the Urban Jungle tour. Keith couldn't understand why the audience were all shouting "He's behind you!"
Gadj, Under My Thumb is Bert's favourite track, not surprisingly. I'll set the treadmill to Warp Factor 5 next time and wear my trackies tucked into my boots.
Under U (if i may be so bold), I think it's a look that might appeal to Mr O'Bama. I just hope he hasn't seen Vicky Pollard on YouTube. Dexter's sax is like melted chocolate. Which befits the instrument's inventor, Adolphe Sax (Belgian).
GG, welcome back honey! We missed your Caribbean sunshine. Perhaps I should load up the soundtrack from Riverdance, to keep my arms under control.
You came highly recommended, and I'm glad I made the trip. See you soon.
Daphne,
You be as bold as you wanna be...btw...I've nominated your blog for an award.
U
Yep, that's exactly how it was!
Sx
I'll be woo-wooing all night now
chair dancing here, sugar! thanks for the reminder. might have to find the boys on my itunes while i'm working! xoxo
The Stones are rubbish.
Oasis is the real thing.
/ducks/
One to give the sweatbands a workout: Hot Rocks Polka
A word of warning: in one of my rare keep fit phases (and I was younger than you) at my first aerobics class, I got carried away with the rhythm,giggled, fell over and broke my leg.
I'm sure you wouldn't be so silly.
My concentration is easily diverted.
I currently have 405 tracks on it and it's still only half full
That's the contemporary definition of an optimist. A pessimist would say: I currently have 405 tracks on it and it's already half empty.
A glass is so passé.
Saw you over at GG's and whether you like it or not I'm sending you a big hug.xoxo
Ha, yes, I can just see you Riverdancing down the street.
Jimmy B, all Scotsmen are welcome here. Except Alex Ferguson. And Alistair Darling. And one or two others.
U, (I can't decide whether to say Under U or Ovr U), well thank you SO much (goes all Kate Winslet). You're a deserving winner yourself.
Scarlet, was it one of these pop pantos? Were you Little Red Rooster? I would have been the Honky Tonk Fairy Godmother.
Kim, make sure you have one good woo-woo before you go to bed.
Savannah, there's something for every occasion with the Stones.
E.Jit, remember I know where you live.
Kev, the East European Massive (Gadj, Gyppo & Boyo) will like that one.
Pat, I steer clear of group activities. I'm a lone wolf. (hugs Pat and falls over breaking leg).
Bart, it all goes to pieces when I try and drink Leffe out of an mp3 player.
GG, I've got some Chieftains on the mp3, the bhodran really gets the blood pumping.
Daphne,
Decisions like that take time; there's no hurry since I'm not going anywhere (at least until Monday that is). You've got a few more days.
U
Woo, baby! Woo loud and woo proud! Ride these endorphins high and wild, Daphers! We're a long time dead.
U, it'll have to be OvrU after what PCB's just said.
Sam, I'm riding on the backs of OvrU, Jimmy Bastard and Kevin Musgrove racing through the ocean, jumping from one to the other, going "WOO WOO!". Oh, ENDORPHINS. Sorry.
Exercise, eh? At lunch today I had a large slice of pecan pie. Then I put a dollop of full fat yogurt on it and thought of you.
Post a Comment