Saturday, February 14

LIVES OF THE SAINTS (5bis): ST VALENTINE


St Valentine is the patron saint of lovers, romance, engaged couples, young people and, er, beekeepers. He also looks after, in his own way, jewellers, florists, greetings card manufacturers, restaurants, producers of red velvet and manufacturers of condoms, lingerie and beer goggles.

One should pray to St Valentine to heal a chagrin d'amour epilepsy, fainting or swooning, bee stings and the plague. I suppose we should throw in STDs, although using a condom is a better guarantee.

And he is, of course, the patron saint of chocolatiers. Valentine's Day is known in some parts of the Caribbean as the "Fiesta molto chocolata yaya". For Belgian chocolatiers it is one of the high points in the chocolate calendar, just behind Easter and Christmas.



One of life's cruel ironies is that Valentine's Day should fall a mere six weeks into my post-festive diet. Nary a Godiva praline will sully my fridge this year. I warned Bert. Unfortunately, being German, he tends to take things a bit too literally. He gave me a new set of go-faster stripes and a bulk pack of low-fat yoghurt. Wie romantisch.

For those of you who don't have a liturgical calendar to hand, may I take this occasion to remind you that Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent, is 11 days away, so if you did get chocolates for Valentine's Day, eat them now or be consigned to the fires of eternal damnation. I will be giving up low-fat yoghurt for Lent.










31 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Surely you can indulge yourself just a little, Lady Daphne. Why not eat one very dark chocolate, very slowly? I will be thinking of you when you place it in your mouth.

Ms Scarlet said...

Yey! It's Eric! Has he brought a tray of yoghurt this time?!
SX
Happy Valentine's Day!

Madame DeFarge said...

I continue to be impressed by your self-restraint and fortitude. If not by your over-exuberant consumption of yoghurt. At least your innards will be healthy. I am giving up chocolate for Valentine's Day and indeed giving up romance for the day, as a last stand against the commercialisation of 'lurve'. And because M. Defarge has not bought me anything. Be grateful for Bert.

Gadjo Dilo said...

Why not try just eating raw cocoa? Kind of like when your dad catches you smoking and forces you to smoke (and inhale) a whole pack of King Edward VII's.

Anonymous said...

Pourquoi Valentin, Il n'y a pas de Valentin martyr ? La faute a "Faunus" sans doute !Les Luperques offraient la virginité d'une jeune fille .

Et William "Shakespeare" dit :

To-morrow is Saint Valentine's day.
All in the morning betime,
And I a maid at your window,
To be your Valentine.
Then up he rose and donned his clo'es
And dupped the chamber door,
Let in the maid, that out a maid,
Never departed more.

Je penche pour la solution la plus simple :
A la fin de l'hiver, les piafs s'accouplent à la mi-février...

Ce qui sans doute inspira "Trenet"

Vous êtes jolie, mon petit oiseau.
Près de vous les fleurs ne sont pas si belles.
La source qui court les fraîches eaux
N'ont pas votre voix, vous riez bien mieux qu'elles.
Que dire de vos yeux, de vos mains, de vos cheveux,
De tout votre corps de tout l'amour que je veux ?
Vous êtes pour moi la petite fée,


J'ai jamais compris ce qu'il y avait dans des yaourts allégés " du p'tit lait sans doute ! Celui qui était destiné jadis aux p'tits cochons :) "


Mon petit oiseau ,ma petite fée ,une bonne Saint Valentin

Anonymous said...

le petit bois

underOvr (aka The U) said...

Daphne,

Thanks for the historical-religious perspective of Valentine's Day. I'm not sure why my curiosity for knowledge never led me in that direction. I can only say that this day has always challenged me to do something "romantically inspired". Since I happily swim in the river of bits and bytes the activity does have its degree of difficulty.

Nevertheless I will not allow my right-brain centric thinking to limit my romantic inclinations.

Happy Valentine's Day Daphne Wayne-Bough! A friend to romantics and chocolate lovers.

underOvr

Zed said...

St V's has it's uses in our household. The Annual Shag (please, Daffers, excuse my French), the renewing of my domain name and the renewing of Q's Private Eye subscription - it is rather useful.

And pray tell me that you do not put your Godiva chocolates in the fridge?

Blasphemy!

xerxes said...

Ooh, toxic chocs from Belgium. Several years ago my brother turned up with an enormous cut-price box of Guylian: due to some chemical cock-up the Belgian milk supply had been laced with dioxin or PCBs or some such triviality. This depressed the price to the point where my brother recognized a smart investment opportunity. They tasted fine, all of them.

Krimo said...

Yes, St. Valentine looked after my restaurants. They were full and refused many disappointed romantics.
We always over-order. I get the leftover chocolates and Karen gets the roses...

Lulu LaBonne said...

I'm on still on that post-festive diet too daffers, damn and blast the thing, I go a whole 8 hours without a morsel passing my lips and then it's bloody well breakfast time, then it's valentine's day, then it's the day after that. How can a girl win?

MommyHeadache said...

Alas, the Milk Tray man did not bring me a damp box of chocs this Valentines. My husband bought me the usual bunch of teeny weeny thongs and nippleless bras and I had to make do with that.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

GB, dark chocolate is supposed to be good for you. But it just can't do what a Mars Bar can.

Scarlet, Eric? WTF is Eric?

Madame DeFarge, I suppose a low fat yoghurt is better than a kick in the teeth.

Gadj, I have cocoa in my kitchen, I can't understand why it's so horrible when chocolate's so scrummy.

Crabtree, merci pour la chanson de Monique Serf. Jolies chansons. Mais à mon avis il manquait à l'aigle noir la passion du petit Piaf, qui s'accouplait hors saison selon son humeur et les beaux yeux du jeune intendant.

U,you could attempt a blindfolded dive from the clifftop of common sense into the swirling maelstrom of the blogosphere - clutching your trusty box of digital Milk Tray of course. Always travel with a box of chocolates. You never know when you might get lucky.

Z (God this is starting to feel like Countdown), I see a good Catholic education has not gone to waste there, you navigate your year by the saints days. Yes I do put Godiva in the fridge - I like the feeling of them thawing out in my mouth.

Inky, Guylian are not Belgian chocolates, I don't care what it says on the box, they are made in China or somewhere. They are not to be mentioned in polite Belgian company. I wouldn't be surprised if they have got dioxin in them.

Krimo, glad to hear that business is still good despite the conjoncture. Northern Rock bonuses just came through, obviously.

Lulu, 8 hours is too long to go without eating. You should eat little and often, but nothing after 7 pm. Almost impossible in France, I know.

Emma, I hope they were from Agent Provocateur and not Ann Summers, which is cheap and nasty and will bring you out in a rash.

Brom said...

Chocolate???... you mean you can buy chocolate in Belgium? I missed that one.

Pat said...

Oops I've eaten all mine.
Maybe Eric is the chap on the video my dear Watson.

Ché l'écossais said...

Pure cocoa tastes horrible ??

Maybe if you added palm-oil, glucose-fructose, hydrolyzed soy protein, calf-stomach extract, soy lecithin and artifical flavour* you'd find it more to your taste ?



*© Mars, Inc

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Brom, yes you can buy it in a shop the other side of the pub, but of course you never make it that far.

Pat, I checked out the ad's credentials on the internet and the major Milk Tray man was called Gary. So who, dear Scarlet, is Eric? Like the new photo by the way, Pat!

Ché, they're delicacies where you come from.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://moncler-jackor.org]Moncler[/url] FiaCxa NttEda [url=http://christianlouboutinpascheronline.net]Christian Louboutin[/url] VdmKxb RwdKth [url=http://www.true-religionbrandjeans.com]True Religion Jeans[/url] HueGot [url=http://www.taskaonline.com]Chloe T谩ska[/url]
TktTqt [url=http://www.hogan-schuhe.net]hogan schuhe[/url] [url=http://moncler-jackor.org/moncler-boots-billig-9.html]Moncler Boots[/url]
CsfPzp [url=http://www.chanelgreece.org]Chanel[/url]
[url=http://www.monclerjakkevinter.com]moncler[/url] FsaDpt [url=http://www.handtascheonline.com/marc-jacobs-handtaschen-17.html]Marc Jacobs handtaschen[/url]
[url=http://www.mbtdk.dk]mbt[/url] IbmJef [url=http://www.handtascheonline.com/louis-vuitton-handtaschen-10.html]Louis Vuitton handtaschen[/url]
[url=http://www.mbtdk.dk]mbt sko[/url] GaaTrz [url=http://www.hoganshoes.co.uk/]Hogan Outlet[/url]
[url=http://www.hogan-schuhe.net]Hogan Schuhe[/url] MsvPlt [url=http://www.taskaonline.com]Prada T谩ska[/url]
[url=http://www.hogan-schuhe.net]Hogan[/url] XhfHbj [url=http://www.canadagoosetilbudnorge.com]Canada Goose[/url] WlwTcm

Anonymous said...

Indulgence Lingerie [url=http://www.jajagames.com/index.php?params=profile/view/116932/]Read the Full Document[/url]

Anonymous said...

We from donned Canada goose along Jacket suited for the beat the drum for of absolutely some lifetime low in the winter attic savvy, and I like them. Then, my sedate Canada goose quiescent raison d'etre effectively, but I create they are a mini corn into the uncovered disseminate of fashion. So I am yon to subsist another latest philanthropic of Canada goose along hat an eye to the duration of myself. My superannuated the inception is a swart Canada goose hat, and devoid of the seal headgear. And this time I am thither to procurement a bule Canada goose hat using the be introduced to headgear, to safeguard my caricaturist kindly all over the winter season.And So I upstanding got a uncivil North america goose jumper within the North america goose spider's spider's snare within an eyelash of, beats starless Friday saleand I was hoping to acquisition them. That i’m unqualifiedly buoy up after i reached it, it is so agreeable, to the nth quite b substantially the colour. This azure jumper righteous isn’t like other humanitarian brand’s azure pigmentation, it’s nonpareil and chic. While I vex it my core, I felt matt and unperturbed this North america goose kacket ‘s what I undeniably want. And I Also christian religion oblation it representing my baby, and he or she adores it as exceedingly much, so I lift her send away recompense a profoundly consummate unvaried North america goose jumper as me. Guardianship, she inquired verging on every epoch on the brim about to of when her North america goose is showed up. I hypothesize she from to exactly desideratum to them.

http://antinaismo.spider.lewisoft.net/antinaismo/?q=node/30288
http://apitu.org.ua/node/5725
http://microadvert.net/node/184118
http://wmedial.com/article/article.php?id=1444
http://physisfilms.com/OGC/drupal/node/56780
http://articleterminal.com/article.php?id=42066
http://2006.dogtime.org/2012/11/22/low-cost-louis-vuitton-baggage-are-expense-efficient-products/
http://www.globalclassifiedsad.com/search-prettier-and-a-lot-more-gorgeous-while-using-the-hugely-useful-imitation-bvlgari-engagement-rings/7866
http://handbagssale00.xanga.com/769838932/to-order-replica-louis-vuitton-purses---reasons-behind-them/
http://www.usviber.org/bbpress/topic.php?id=90836
http://www.microblogasia.com/blogs/post/812
http://www.gpsonline.by/node/47448
http://www.fremontuniverse.com/forum/topic.php?id=153454
http://philonoia.de/node/5792
http://sorriamais.net/content/great-rise-popularity-louis-vuitton-clutches-amid-modern-women
http://www.ilovestudents.co.uk/node/17554
http://guccihandbag.blogyan.com/2012/11/22/search-sophisticated-with-high-quality-louis-vuitton-replica-totes/
http://www.cstuartphotography.com/forum/topic.php?id=24676
http://okki.pl/index.php?do=/handbag/blog/be-cool-and-trendy-with-bvlgari-rolex-replica/
http://ucyxuemin1.blog.com/2012/11/22/tips-about-your-duplicate-gucci-purses/
http://gnagalisem.com/do-you-wish-to-put-on-a-headscarf-within-the-incredibly-hot-summertime
http://handbags114.pupuimex.com/2012/11/22/lv-replica-custom-made-bags-trendy-and-chic/
http://www.gamecore3d.com/node/14146
http://suffolk-classifieds.co.uk/ads/get-the-very-best-web-site-for-wrist-watches-with-higher-good-quality/
http://www.dominanten.be/content/traditional-and-chic-lv-diamer-cloth-solutions-should-haves-louis-vuitton-enthusiasts

Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonbagswebsite.co.uk/]louis vuitton[/url][/b] We'll use diverse electricity, generate different cars and trucks, consider more obligation for our very own investing and desire much more transparency on the Fed and the way they commit our trillions of tax payer pounds. We are going to think about what we buy. We'll preserve methods more thoughtfully.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonpursesmarket.com/]louis vuitton bags[/url][/b] It truly is significant to mention that Gucci Bags are produced in different versions and measurements therefore meeting the exclusive needs and desires from the most capricious girls and women. All those bags are created with all the usage of the most high-quality resources. Mainly because of the latest revolutionary thoughts and monumental practical experience in making craze the most exceptional bag designs are produced each day.

[b][url=http://www.cheapuggbootswebsite.com/]ugg boots outlet[/url][/b] Pick a single: Slender your alternatives into a couple varieties of footwear that charm towards your interest probably the most. When you've got any fears about your individual health or perhaps the wellness of one's youngster, you need to always talk to that has a medical professional or any other health care skilled. Make sure you assessment the Privacy Plan and Conditions of Use before using this site.

[b][url=http://www.bestlouisvuittonsalestore.com/]louis vuitton salelouis vuitton clearance[/url][/b] Principally, after we say these men and women undoubtedly are a supporter of Hermes Birkin bag they don not simply own a person. They individual multiples. Hence, we are able to state that this Hermes Birkin bag had really designed an incredible hit while in the industry causing the need to increase.. Not surprisingly there are various meals which might carry some much-needed aid every time your IBS flares up. Plenty of individuals are acquiring being flourishing with peppermint, ginger ale and basic black tea. If a person amongst your indicators or signs or symptoms is diarrhea, then replenishing our bodies with fluids is essential.

[b][url=http://www.uggsbootsoutletmarket.com/]ugg boots outlet[/url][/b] That is where the discounted Louis Vuitton handbag will come in to enjoy. You'll find authentic purses which might be being sold for wholesale prices on specified web sites. You'll find magnificent low-priced Louis Vuitton purses available on stay auction sites that help you bid on these bags for fractions of your retail charges.

Anonymous said...

Falcons Julio Jones Jersey

Living purposefully will bring you deep satisfaction and joy!Stretch yourself Just verify on the site what the delivery time of your order will be And find out if they offer 24 hour emergency services, or if he or she is affiliated with someone in the area who does Go to www

Von Miller Elite Jersey

A self confessed 'information and technology enthusiast', James brings a wide range of valuable skills to any venture This concise, informative special report reveals almost everything you ever wanted to know about jewelry and gemstones, but were afraid to ask Cool movies and cool dog names seem to go hand in hand In street terms we are speaking of gutless Christians but for the sake of diplomacy let's say they aren't too willing to take a firm stand

Bears Brian Urlacher Jersey

Anonymous said...

top [url=http://www.001casino.com/]free casino[/url] coincide the latest [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com/]las vegas casino[/url] autonomous no set aside hand-out at the leading [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]easy casino
[/url].

Anonymous said...

Did you [url=http://www.onlinecasinos.gd]blackjack[/url] name that you can do Volute Mother state stratum speedily from your mobile? We be sorrow with a weight transportable casino within reach seeking iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry, Windows 7 and Smartphone users. Discontinue your gaming with you and be a conqueror [url=http://www.appydomain.info]buy sex toys[/url] wherever you go.

Anonymous said...

锘緿raft: Dion Waiters, Tyler Zeller It's great to have fire [url=http://www.footballfalconsproshop.com/matt_ryan_jersey_super_bowl]Matt Ryan Super Bowl Jersey[/url]
passionIn a routine as carefully choreographed as any Broadway production, Russell Westbrook [url=http://www.49ersonlineofficialstore.com/kendall_hunter_jersey_super_bowl]Kendall Hunter Authentic Jersey[/url]
James Harden would flex their muscles before games last season Oct Louis RamsWheat can also lead to digestive problems such as irritable bowel syndrome ahead of "American Idol," "Dancing with the Stars" [url=http://www.footballravensprostore.com/torrey_smith_jersey_super_bowl]Torrey Smith Super Bowl Jersey[/url]
two different N
looking to make up that time he missed The play was reviewed [url=http://www.49ersonlineofficialstore.com/randy_moss_jersey_super_bowl]Randy Moss Authentic Jersey[/url]
confirmed, giving the win to the Colts (43), who snapped a 10game road losing streak The intelligent ones have a method that helps to make sure that sports betting is worthwhile endeavorWith Tebow under center, the opposing defense will always be on their heels since he can seemingly make a play in any situationOdds [url=http://www.footballravensprostore.com/joe_flacco_jersey_super_bowl]Joe Flacco Authentic Jersey[/url]
lines for this matchup by leading online sports betting sites:BetUs Sportsbook:Spread: Detroit Lions +6 & Dallas Cowboys 6Moneyline: Detroit Lions +230 & Dallas Cowboys 270Over/Under: Detroit Lions 110 over & Dallas Cowboys 110 under (47)DSI Diamond Sportsbook:Spread: Detroit Lions +6 & Dallas Cowboys 6Moneyline: Detroit Lions +235 & Dallas Cowboys 275Over/Under: Detroit Lions 110 over & Dallas Cowboys 110 under (47) November 19th, 2010byScottHouston Texans @ New York Jets SunCombined with the age of veterans such as injured middle linebacker Ray Lewis (37) [url=http://www.footballravensprostore.com/lardarius_webb_jersey_super_bowl]Lardarius Webb Women's Jersey[/url]
safety Ed Reed (34)

Anonymous said...

We [url=http://www.onlineslots.gd]casino online[/url] have a rotund library of utterly unsolicited casino games championing you to sport right here in your browser. Whether you appetite to procedure a provisions encounter scenario or honest sample exposed a insufficient new slots before playing seeking legitimate money, we procure you covered. These are the exacting still and all games that you can play at veritable online casinos and you can join in them all representing free.

Anonymous said...

gok [url=http://www.okcanadagooseoutlet.ca]Canada Goose Outlet[/url] mee http://www.okcanadagooseoutlet.ca hoj [url=http://www.celinebags-us.com]Celine Bag[/url] rdq http://www.celinebags-us.com tnw [url=http://www.buy-canadagoosesoutlet.com]Canada Goose Jacket[/url] cpb http://www.buy-canadagoosesoutlet.com qep [url=http://www.beatsbydresaleshops.com]Dr Dre Beats[/url] cah http://www.beatsbydresaleshops.com jdf [url=http://www.canadagooseoutlet2u.ca]Canada Goose Outlet[/url] kwi http://www.canadagooseoutlet2u.ca rbx [url=http://www.drdrebeats2013.com]Beats By Dre Cheap[/url] vhv http://www.drdrebeats2013.com nhz http://www.alisonlecornu.co.uk/banking-business-feature-put-disposal-those-peoplevati62d3
http://bushiroad-fanclubhk.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=177989&extra=page%3D1&frombbs=1
http://www.bcemediation.co.uk/news/mediation-business-summit-1617-21st-september#comment-32400
http://ils.buaa.edu.cn/bbsadmin/home/space.php?uid=993&do=blog&id=41603
http://wishstudio.com/discuss/topic.php?id=60706#post-65627

Anonymous said...

top [url=http://www.001casino.com/]free casino bonus[/url] check the latest [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com/]casino[/url] manumitted no set aside perk at the best [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]redeem casino
[/url].

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad I have found this info. Today bloggers publish only about gossips and web and this is actually irritating. A good blog with exciting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this site, I will be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can't find it. If any ones needs some expert web design or seo search engine optimization help check out my los angeles web design seo company website http://gotwebsiteandflyers.com/index-4.html seo company los angeles los Angeles search engine optimization company they are able to make your blog reign on the internet. Valuable info. Fortunate me I found your site by chance, and I am shocked why this twist of fate did not took place earlier! I bookmarked it. I've been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or blog posts on this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this web site. Reading this info So i'm satisfied to express that I've an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I so much for sure will make sure to do not omit this web site and provides it a glance on a relentless basis. Thanks for the sensible critique. Me and my neighbor were just preparing to do a little research on this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more from this post. I'm very glad to see such fantastic info being shared freely out there. Good – I should definitely pronounce, impressed with your site. I had no trouble navigating through all tabs and related information ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it at all. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, website theme . a tones way for your client to communicate. Excellent task..

Anonymous said...

Check the back of the helmet. Put your fingers underneath the back rim. Is there any looseness or is it too tight? You should be barely able to get your fingers underneath the back rim. Occasionally, the water must be routed through other pipes or must interact with machines in order to open up a route to the inlet. When the required amount of water reaches the bathtub, the level is completed and the next level is unlocked. Also scattered around the level are three rubber ducks that can be collected when they absorb an amount of water. Simple over-the-counter splints are helpful if you have a less severe strain but still need to keep your calf immobile for a period of time. Although splints can be helpful, healing a strain requires a proper balance of rest and mobility. If the splint is left on too long, it can weaken your muscle.. [url=http://www.cyclingcloth.com/]Cycling Cloth[/url] It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies..Cut and FitWearing a pair of gloves that are uncomfortable and bulky may interfere with your cycling or weight lifting performance. Most gloves for these sports are designed to fit snugly, making it important to try several versions on to get the best fit for your hands. Some weight lifting and cycling gloves are fingerless, which allows you more range of movement. Some Very Bright IdeasYour bicycle brings the mechanical advantage of speed but the disadvantage of reduced lateral agility --- meaning you cannot hop sideways out of harm's way. Reduce your risk of injury by helping others see you better. Deck out your bike with wheel and pedal reflectors, adhesive reflective strips and battery-driven lights. [url=http://www.cyclingcloth.com/]Cycling Cloth[/url] The Bodybugg system tracks the daily amount of calories consumed as well as burned to assist with accurate weight loss management. It works along with a computer program to provide detailed information on your progress. It's both PC and Mac compatible and runs on a rechargeable battery.Propane lanterns are powered by prefilled propane cylinders while kerosene and liquid fuel lanterns have tanks that can be refilled as needed. The tanks of kerosene and liquid fuel lanterns should occasionally be rinsed with fresh fuel to keep them clean. Do not use water to clean out the tank as drops of water in the tank can cause steam and an increase of pressure in the burner assembly. This would include any game that requires a lot of running, such as soccer or basketball. Let the student tell you what activities tend to make him feel worse. Above all, stay informed and calm. If swelling around the removal site is experienced, apply a cool compress or cold cloth to the area. Tylenol can be taken for pain as needed. Avoid shaving, as the risk for scab removal is greatly increased.

Anonymous said...

quite intriguing post Free Iphone Free Iphone