Saturday, October 11

THE GREATEST BELGIAN OF ALL TIME*



Thursday 9th October was the 30th anniversary of the death of Jacques Brel, iconic crooner, poet, adventurer, sailor, pilot, actor and by popular vote* the Greatest Belgian of All Time. He was born about 10 minutes walk from Wayne-Bough Towers, and I am proud to share a postcode with the great man. He died, age 49, in a Paris hospital, of lung cancer, and is buried in the Marquise islands, where he spent his last few years, his grave a few metres from Gauguin's.

Jacques' grave on Hiva Oa in the South Pacific: nice view

I became a fan of Brel during my Paris days, when I would spend hours at cafe tables sporting a beret and black turtleneck sweater, smoking Gitanes and looking bored. I lived in a fancy apartment on the boulevard St Michel, where I kept my Rolling Stones records and a friend of ... oh hang on, that wasn't me. At the time, I could be reduced to tears by the words of "Ne me quitte pas":

Moi je t'offrirai Des perles du pluie Venues de pays Où il ne pleut pas

Laiss'moi devenir L'ombre de ton ombre L'ombre de ta main L'ombre de ton chien
Ne me quitte pas
Ne me quitte pas

I will offer you pearls of rain from places where it doesn't rain .... I will be the shadow of your shadow, the shadow of your hand, the shadow of your dog, just don't leave me ...

And then one day, many years later, with the force of experience, it struck me that his poor wife, who was stuck in Belgium for years while he was swanning around being famous, would not have been impressed by his "pearls of rain". She didn't want him to be the shadow of her dog, she just wanted him to stick around and help with the kids. Fix the crack in the wall. Do the washing up occasionally. Put her first, for a change. And do you know, readers, I never cried again over that song. Call me unromantic if you will, but having seen interviews with Mrs Brel and her daughters, he wasn't the greatest husband and father. A genius, yes, but a bit of a sod.


Some new footage has recently been released of an interview where he talks about the political problems between the Walloons and the Flemings. He dismisses them as "la basse politique" and says that Belgium is worth more than a linguistic quarrel. He recorded some songs in Flemish, which actually bring beauty to a language which otherwise sounds like someone clearing their throat. (I'm certainly risking becoming permanently persona non grata in Antwerp for that, but where do you think the word phlegm comes from? Think about it).

I'm still a big fan of the rest of Brel's songs which are word-paintings, and my favourite is "Orly", a tender study of two young lovers saying goodbye at an airport. Many of his songs were about loneliness, failure and death. He was the Coldplay of his day, really. I've put up a little Brel-fest for you in the margin so you can hear some of his best songs, which have been recorded by everyone from David Bowie to Nina Simone, Scott Walker to Sting, Julio Iglesias to Rod McKuen and, er, Terry Jacks' appalling "Seasons in the Sun".

Here's old Jack singing "Les Vieux", for Mrs Pouncer, who is having a bit of a crisis over her lost youth. I dare say he'll wander home eventually. This'll cheer you up, old girl.






* according to the Francophone poll. In the Dutch-language poll he came in 7th behind Father Damien, a sort of Belgian Mother Theresa, and Ambiorix, a 1st century warrior and follower of Asterix in the business of Getting Up the Romans' Noses. There could be a message in there.


39 comments:

Gadjo Dilo said...

Ah, Daffers, such memories for me too. Not Brel - who, you're right, was a sod, though maybe that was de rigueur considering what his audience expected - but sitting in Paris cafes and art galleries, Peter Sarstedt, and Nina Simone singing Ne me quitte pas.

The Flemish have a much more sensible list though - Hergé, I ask you!

Mrs Pouncer said...

Daphne, it's an honour.
My all time fave-rave is La Chanson de Jacky; I don't know why, and I can stand it in any version, even M. Almond. Actually, particularly M. Almond.
Oft-times I had to drive from Argeles to Barca to work on some Dali-related folderol. I created a small ceremony - again, I don't know why - whereby I HAD to be have Jacky playing as I crossed the Spanish border. Madness, I know, but I felt that if I could hear Meme si un jour a Knokke-le-Zoute etc, then nothing could go wrong.
Don't worry about my age-related crisis. You'll be pleased to hear that I have been lucky enough to receive some restorative injections recently. An unorthodox serum, it's true, and administered under conditions of great secrecy, but it seems to be working.
Have you tried something similar?

Anonymous said...

«Il y en a qui ont le coeur si large qu'on y rentre sans frapper. Il y en a qui ont le coeur si frêle qu'on le brise d'un doigt.»

"L'homme est un nomade" Anticipation ? Imbécile de ma part !!

zoe said...

Brel - a true genius indeed. But like may others, he was a sod. Roald Dahl, Gainsbourg - bla bla. Men simply cannot multi-task.

But Brel. Aaaaah.

My Ex and I were invited to my Ex's best friend's wedding. His wife to be was (and still is) unbearable. During the dinner, they came over and talked to us and I just had to do it.
"Annik, you said that you were going to play a song by Brel during the ceremony."
"We were, but there simply wasn't enough time in the end."
"Well that's a shame. What had you chosen - 'Ne me quitte pas'?"


Now if looks could kill she damn near tried as the ENTIRE room dissolved into fits of uncontrollable laughter.

Ms Scarlet said...

Everything sounds lovely in French . . . How does 'Seasons in the Sun' sound? Probably a lot nicer.

Thanks for this Daphne.

Sx

Autolycus said...

Belgium might be worth more than the Flemish-Walloon battles - but evidently not enough for him to go on living there. A touch of Sean Connery nationalism, perhaps.

Gorilla Bananas said...

I remember Seasons in the Sun!
We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun,
Tumty-tum, tumty-tum, tumty-tumty-tumty-tum.


I think the title of your post may be an example of damning a man with faint praise, milady. If only Hercule Poirot were non-fictional!

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Gadjo, did you know that Ralph McTell's "Streets of London" was actually written in Paris? Long before Eden Kane's kid brother was asking where his lovely went to.

Mrs P, I love Scott Walker singing Jacky. In fact I love Scott Walker singing anything. My eternal youth is down to Body Shop Shea body butter and the company of younger men.

Crabtree, on peut rentrer dans mon blog sans frapper, à toute heure.

Zed, you must certainly have enjoyed Adam Sandler singing "Love Stinks" in The Wedding Singer. Ne me quitte pas is something I dare not sing in my house. You never know who's listening.

Scarlet and GB, "Seasons in the sun" was a translation of "Le Moribond", which is a dying man saying goodbye to all his nearest and dearest. The meaning rather got lost with the rumty-tumty-tum delivery.

Lycus, JB's excuse was that his work was in Paris. I think the fact that his wife was in Brussels might have had something to do with it as well.

Ms Scarlet said...

"My eternal youth is down to Body Shop Shea body butter and the company of younger men."

My eternal youth is down to lying through my teeth, but yes, and younger men . . .
Sx

Anonymous said...

I do not knock any more! I am inlaid as a mussel in its bouchot!

Ce n'est pas du Brel ,ce n'est pas très bon ,mais ça ! Ma Muse ;)

Gadjo Dilo said...

Daffers, I didn't know that. Absence always makes the heart grow fonder, eh? I do know, however, that Paul Simon's Homeward Bound was written in Widnes railway station.

Gadjo Dilo said...

p.s. Doesn't Django Reinhardt count as a Belgian??

Anonymous said...

Gadjo Dilo ,

He is a guitarist francais of Jazz ( Quintette du Hot Club de France , avec Grappelli ) . But I grant you the double nationality , Of the only fact of its birth !

Tout comme ton nom "Gadjo Dilo" est un film français ! I make fun :)

Gadjo Dilo said...

Monsieur Crabtree, mais oui, et il ait un troisieme citoyennete - "gitan". Oui, j'aime beaucoup la cinema francais, mais ne parles pas bien votre parole - desolé!

SpanishGoth said...

BOLLOCKS

I was going to submit a serious comment, but now all I have in my head is Gorillaz "tum-tummy-tum" in my head.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

It doesn't work every time. The moribund Wendy Richard has a lover 20 years younger. Didn't help her much did it. And I'm not talking about the cancer.

Crabtree, les moules me font vomir. Toi plutot une perle (de pluie?) dans mon blog de nacre! Toute personne née en Belgique ou de parent(s) belges est qualifiée pour le concours. Haroun Tazieff et Christine Ockrent sont belges par lieu de naissance.

Gadjo, Is there a plaque at Widnes station? There should be. Django came in at a shameful no. 78! I am going to demand a recount. Is it true more Romanians speak French than English? I remember the first PM after Ceacescu, what was his name, Iliescu? Spoke beautiful French. Handsome man too.

Goth, I once got in a row with an American who didn't like Brel's music. After me listing all his qualities - poetry, emotion, pathos, etc., he said: "Yeah, but you cain't DANCE to it, can ya?".
What can one say?

Anonymous said...

Daphné ,
Tazieff ,Ockrent ,et pourquoi pas Annie Cordy ,Salvatore Adamo !!

Moi plutôt une perle (de pluie)
( flatteuse!)! Dans ton blog de nacre ! J'accepte , surtout pour l'écrin de nacre :)
Malgré que mon nez rouge ressemble à une cerise sur un baba au rhum ! ( je suis presque plus beau au naturel :} )

Anonymous said...

Gadjo ,
Eu nu vorbesc limba română, fie, cât de important! Pentru un cetatean al lumii?

Gadjo Dilo said...

Daffers, I believe that there was a plaque but at the wrong Widnes station. 78th, eh? But if Django's fans are as badly organised as he apparantly was then it's no surprize! In the poll of the top 100 Romanians, Ceausecsu and Vlad Tepes ("Dracula") narrowly missed the top 10, proving once again that this country only just makes it as a modern european nation. Yes, Romanians did all used to speak French as their second language, and many a young man with rich parents was sent to Paris to complete his "education", but "S-a dus bou... şi s-a-ntors vacă!" ("He went as an ox and came back as a cow") :-)

Wow, Monsieur Crabtree, well done, I will do your comment justice soon!

Anonymous said...

"He went as an ox and came back as a cow"

Is this still the Mandy thread ?

Anonymous said...

We had joints
We had fun
We had whiskey
In the sun

But how dare you say my language sounds like someone clearing their throat? Wait until I meet you in Antwerp, grumble grumble grumpf growl snarl growwof grrr

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Crabtree, ils y sont tous, meme Johnny. Poelevoorde en 4e place, par contre, c'est vraiment une manque d'imagination.

Gadjo, it may be that he wasn't the right sort of Belgian, y'know? Like when I was talking famous Poles with a Polish friend, I mentioned Zamenhof and she said "Who?" I explained he was the chap who'd invented Esperanto. "Oh, he wasn't Polish, he was a Jew!" she exclaimed.

Mysterious Georgia Brown, I think you didn't get past the Haarlem thread! I don't think Mandy was ever an ox. A frisky heifer at most.

Bart, I was expecting a visit from you after my remark. I can read Flemish more or less, it's just that I'd have to have my teeth remodelled in order to speak it.

Pat said...

My romping days in Paris were late sixties so Brel is very evocative. Were you there then?

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Sadly, Pat, I was just a couple of years too young when it was all kicking off. Were you on the barricades with Dany le Rouge? I first went to Paris in 1971, but my glory days were the Mitterrand years.

Gadjo Dilo said...

Yes, quite, Daphne. Here in Romania they might be persuaded to celebrate Edward G. Robinson, Art Garfunkel, Tristan Tzara (daddy of Dadaism) and even Fenella Fielding, if they weren't so Jewish.

I was about 12 years too young, so mainly Mitterrand years, though Valéry Giscard d'Estaing's name was always so much more fun!

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Gadjo, do they revere Michael Howard in Romania as much as the Welsh do?

The grand synagogue in Budapest was rebuilt with a lot of Tony Curtis' money. And I saw the house where Helena Rubinstein was born in the Krakow Jewish district. Just think, without antisemitism Eastern Europe would have no famous sons and daughters.

Lynx said...

The only people they seem pretty much agreed on are Eddie Merckx, and Father Damien (wasn't he the guy behind the Smurfs?).

I can't believe that Jean-Claude Camille François Van Varenberg didn't make either list. For those of you who don't recognise the name, he's Belgium's greatest film star and martial artist, who took the stage name of Jean-Claude Van Damme.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Lynx, you're probably thinking of Vader Abraham who made a record with the Smurfs, although wasn't their creator, that was Peyo (no.33 on the list). Vader Abraham wasn't even a real priest. Father Damien was more like Abbé Pierre in France, he did a lot for the homeless.

There are a lot of omissions as well as the Muscles from Brussels, who is incontrovertibly Belgium's greatest film star. Film director Chantal Akerman is not there, while André Dalvaux (another film director) got nominated twice (places 62 and 63). Not to mention the Big Six Flemish fashion designers, but then again this is a predominantly francophone list. Leopold II should have been banned. And Prince Philippe gets a higher placing than James Ensor! But there are a hell of a lot more than "five famous Belgians" when you look into it.

Anonymous said...

Gadjo ,
He been enough to say "l'air Mitterrand " ( The wandering hermite ),there it is funny :)

Daphné,
Mitterrand was not Belgian?

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Crabtree: bien sur qu'il n'était pas belge, "Kermitterrand" était un froggie!

Mr Farty said...

Ah, Daffers, I think it was your good self who introduced me to M. Brel. Until then, Rod McKuen's version was one of my all-time favourites. Thank you for opening my, er, ears.

PS The first single I ever bought was by Peter Sarstedt. For a laugh, hahaha!

Pat said...

No I was in Paris keeping a very low profile.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Farty, Rod McKuen was a prolific poet, lyricist, and performer, he also wrote "Love's been good to me" and the theme song from "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" but unfortunately will always be remembered for making the valedictory of a dying man sound like an advertising jingle. Sarstedt was so swinging sixties wasn't he? He and Jason King.

Pat, were you a spy? Or on the run? Is this part of your life in your story? I must have missed it. How's the book coming along by the way?

Pat said...

Discretion kept it out of the story although the cast were mentioned. If I ever get as far as discussing it with an editor I might include it. That's all I'm saying. I'm doing a more ruthless edit before printing it out en masse to read it as a book and get it fit for purpose.
I'm trying to move it up in my list of priorities. That's the trouble with blogging - it eats up time.
BTW I thought Max was the most hateful creature ever - until I met Ronnie's Dad. He makes my flesh creep.

Romeo Morningwood said...

This is very enlightening.
I love learning more about my forefather's homeland.

It is a shame that Brel did not have a more balanced life but very few famous people seem to be able to juggle the demands of celebrity.

The ironic fact that my Grandpapa emigrated to another country on the other side of the world that might also yet unravel under the whisper-thin veneer of linguistic rights is not lost on me.

Why should we wait until the Extraterrestrial Invaders arrive to enslave us before we dissolve all this country nonsense and just be Earthlings.

Here in CanaDUH taxpayers actually provide salaries for the separatists in Parliament...
which would be laughable were it not so pathétique.

Splendid and informative post, as always.
*hats off

Romeo Morningwood said...

pc..

I still think that "spending hours at cafe tables sporting a beret and black turtleneck sweater, smoking Gitanes and looking bored" will always be the benchmark of ubercool.

Krimo said...

The best, Daphnée
Among a fantastic collection of poets...
Brel, Brassens, Ferré, Reggiani, Moustaki...
A privilege growing up listening to them.

Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.hotsalelouisvuittonstore.co.uk/]louis vuitton uk[/url][/b] A sensible Educator females purse may perhaps use a sequential assortment that displays up such as this: NoM06J-127 with out room amongst each and every and every correspondence. We shall chat about these kind of psychic readings within the adhering to paragraphs so you have arrived inside of a great option strategies the issue. Louis Vuitton Electric outlet OnlineHas the bigger $410 thousand sovereign myriad dollars planning to Europe as well as the us of the united states structure jobs with regards to preference..

[b][url=http://www.uggclearancewebsite.com/]ugg clearance[/url][/b] But Mrs. X's style and design and style is certainly the softly terrifying details. She's jazzy within their design and for that cause in the income. Among the the primarily utilized bag versions, tote bags are assumed of as being the top kinds. It is possible to dump your make-up package, wallets, even guides readily in them. They usually are of amazing model and might be used by anyone..

[b][url=http://www.besthandbagstore.co.uk/]louis vuitton outlet[/url][/b] That is definitely obvious throughout the primary high-quality that comes with highly-priced totes. You will be not able to uncover tailor made totes aren't potent. Due to the truth designers lv neverfull pm is frequently a carry out and directive of furnish and desire. So these days my two 1/2 week outdated daughter was laying on my chest. She identified her arm and chose to latch on her arm and make use of it being a constructed in pacifier. I believed it absolutely was cute, snapped a picture with my cell cellular phone and sent the image out to a couple friends and family members..

[b][url=http://www.besthandbagstore.co.uk/]www.besthandbagstore.co.uk[/url][/b] 4. A oversized table is additionally useful within a household place for the reason that inevitably little ones will stop up carrying out their homework where the friends and family gathers. A big table is an ideal multipurpose addition to your household home. So that you can omit the actual tutorial e book cleansing process, just chuck these people in the washer exactly like your current frequent garments. However, if yourrrve been get weightier unpleasant stains for instance dirt, it's sensible to remove the surface grime through wiping them served by the moist cloth in advance of washing. For the folks uncooperative grime places, use a mild brush launch a your spot together with rinse them off of.

[b][url=http://www.luxuryhandbagsalesshop.com/]www.luxuryhandbagsalesshop.com[/url][/b] With significant high-quality and patrician status, Louis Vuitton Canvas Handbags N51107 still stand at the best check out of ladies bags. Even Gucci handbags attempt to occupy bag market place, they nevertheless foundered within the designs and experiencing Louis Vuitton handbags make. The Louis Vuitton Firm was as soon as based mostly neatly more than a hundred ages in the past in 1854 in France.

Anonymous said...

Now that's something like it!
You are certainly right. In it something is also to me this thought is pleasant, I completely with you agree.
It is simply ridiculous.
I am sorry, that I interrupt you, I too would like to express the opinion.
I am sorry, that has interfered... I understand this question. Let's discuss.

[url=http://cheapmichaelkors2.wordpress.com/2013/01/11/ways-to-position-some-bogus-lv-designer-handbag/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.homebasedbusinessprogram.com/profiles/blogs/top-tips-for-spotting-a-fake-designer-handbag][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyiww.wordpress.com/2013/01/21/why-tote-bags-are-popular-trade-event-promotions/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.squidoo.com/shenenmaoyipo][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://mvpmichaelkorsoutlet2.manifo.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]