Saturday, July 4

THE DRUGS DON'T WORK

Nice to see the old people enjoying themselves

As every year, I've been watching highlights from Glastonbury. How nice that they had good weather for once. And with all those geriatric rockers on the stage, the spirit of Woodstock almost made a comeback. Crosby Stills and Nash were one of my favourite bands, and they did not disappoint. I noted with a quietly xenophobic smirk that the British one has aged better than the Americans. Although to be fair, David Crosby always looked like a fat truck driver, now he just looks like a white-haired fat truck driver. Stephen Stills "on the electric guitar" as Graham Nash quaintly introduced him - as opposed to what, the gas guitar? - can still play a mean solo, but his singing was pretty incoherent and tuneless and he looked like a wreck. His drug use was legendary, as was that of Neil Young, who appeared separately. He has not aged well either, which is a shame, as he was very cute in the days of "Heart of Gold".

"Rocking in the free world"
may well be one of the great festival anthems of all time, but forty-three reprises of the chorus was threatening to wear out even the infinite patience of the Glasto crowd. And then came the proof that old people with a previous history of recreational drugtaking should be put to bed at a reasonable hour. Breaking his guitar strings and indulging himself in 10 minutes of Stockhausenesque free noise was really not becoming in an old git of his age. His nurse was too busy accompanying him on guitar and vibes to remember his medication.



Compare, if you will, with the eternally dignified Tom Jones, who does not attempt to relive his youth but somehow manages to remain attractive, in an avuncular way. Employing your son as your manager is an astute move. Jones Junior is not going to allow his old man to make a fool of himself. He looked quite delighted that the kids were enjoying his old tunes. He was interviewed on The One Show the next day, and questioned about drug use. It rang a bell with me when he said that he had never taken drugs because he didn't know what was in them. And this is surely the best argument against legalising drugs. If they were legal and properly labelled and attractively packaged and on the shelves in Tesco, we'd all have a go. Probably.



I was very surprised to learn in a documentary about Steve McQueen that he had gone a bit trippy in his later life. Nobody straighter, you would have thought. That was the secret of his cool - he didn't compromise, when everyone else was sporting flowing locks and psychedelic caftans and dropping LSD, he remained short-haired, focussed, soberly dressed. He did not mix with the hippies, he was more interested in cars and motorbikes. But no! When he succumbed to the hubris of fame, he sank into a welter of booze and spliffs and lost his dignity not to mention two wives.

And the moral of this story is, be you young or old, practice restraint in all things. Yes, Mrs Pouncer, that means you.








I'm always interested when two famous people expire within a couple of days of each other, as I imagine them escorting each other up to the pearly gates. Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson made a nice pair, him liking a mature woman as he did. But Mollie Sugden and Karl Malden were lessons in growing old gracefully. I'm just surprised no-one ever cast them together as the romantic leads.



The Boss, wearing his own wellies

Finally, one old rocker from the other side of the pond who's ageing quite nicely thank you did a great set at his first ever Glasto. Sadly, there are no clips yet up on YouTube, but in honour of the national day of our American friends, and now you're back in the fold, I'll allow you five minutes of shameless nationalism. Welcome back guys. We missed you.








25 comments:

Madame DeFarge said...

I love the thought of Molly Sugden and Karl Malden partnering each up to the Pearly gates. They'd have made a fine pair.

And Tom Jones looks infinitely more appealing grey haired than he did with the ridiculous brillo pad on his head. He now joins the legions of silver foxes much beloved by ladies of a certain dispostion (I am a card-carrying member)

Gorilla Bananas said...

The name of Mollie Sudgen will forever be associated with Mrs Slocombe's pussy, even though we never once saw it. I'm sure the irony would delight her.

Ms Scarlet said...

I was confused for a moment there!
;o)
Sx

Kim Ayres said...

In gatherings at old folks homes across the UK, there are always plenty of tunes from the 30s and 40s to keep them happy - promoting memories of being shot at, bombed and having their pet rabbit eaten.

I have wondered if by the time I end up in one they'll be playing the Sex Pistols. Unfortunately I'll probably be subjected to endless Duran Duran and Wham songs...

SpanishGoth said...

Are you advertising shamelessy for Old People as they are playing Foret tonight?

Or, maybe you are just taking a very slow backhander from Viagra???

Kevin Musgrove said...

One of my friends went to her first Glasto this year. She's just the "right" side of fifty and thought she needed to do it before she got older than the bands.

Ms Scarlet said...

Did Mollie Sugden ever do Glasto, Kev?
Sx

savannah said...

sweet lord, sugar! when did they turn into old men? ;~D xoxox

Kevin Musgrove said...

Molly Sugden did a set some time in the early seventies, singing "My Granny Has Sat On The Gas Stove And Now She Is Riding The Range," with Jeff Beck on spoons and the audience on exotc cheroots.

Pat said...

Oddly I wasn't familiar with Crosby Stills and Nash but heard their set and liked them a lot.
Tom's lovely now he's stopped dyeing his hair and Bruce is amazing but I found the sound dodgy and wanted more volume on his voice. I suppose you had to be there and it's too late now.

Ms Scarlet said...

I shall go and search for Mollie Sugden and Jeff Beck...
Sx

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Speaking of oldies...right now, as I type, the Bee Gees are on the radio. An old, old song. Ahhh, good ol' fashioned romantic song. Lay your troubles on my shoulder...
Here, 'age' doesn't count if the song is smoochy.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

And speaking of them old chaps...I heard James Taylor on tv the other day. He sings just as good.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Is Jeff Beck dead?

Gadjo Dilo said...

Ah, I miss these festival moments. But what Mr Ayres says genuinely scares me.

Didn't Benny Hill and Francis Bacon (the painter) also die on roughly the same day? They'd have made a nice couple.

Lynx said...

Bruce was excellent, as ever. More oldies there included: Status Quo (Francis Rossi has finally cut off his ponytail!), Tony Christie, Ray Davies, Rolf Harris, Fairport Convention, Madness, The Specials, Echo and the Bunnymen, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

This lot are hardly new either: Spinal Tap, The Prodigy, Ladyhawke, Jarvis Cocker, The Wonder Stuff, Blur, Will Young...

I believe there were a few popular beat combos from the current millennium there as well, probably the ones playing that hippidy-hop racket!

Barlinnie said...

Karl Malden... I grew up watching him on the telly. I feel suddenly old.

Pat said...

Bugger my comment's gorn.
Did you watch it Daphne? Did you cry? I did. They really did Michael proud.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Erm, last night? Only until they wheeled the coffin on, then I switched over to The One Show. Did he jump out of the coffin and do a moonwalk?

Pat said...

The coffin was a bit creepy but this is Hollywood. However all the people who spoke from the heart about him and his problems and his life would surely make doubters think again. All the family were there and the whole thing was respectful, moving and dignified - which i have always found the Jackson family to be - give or take the odd boob.

Gadjo Dilo said...

I thouhgt the whole Michael Jackson funeral was Utterly Bizarre: there were tears all round but apparantly he was so distrustful of all his family that he didn't let any of them mind his children ("children", though - did you see the one with the fair hair? )

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

That's ironic - that he wouldn't let other people mind HIS children. Well they got 'em anyway. I liked the bit where they asked for their privacy to be respected - in front of 18,000 people and God knows how many million viewers.

No Good Boyo said...

Sounds like Mrs Pouncer is having restraint practiced on her as we speak.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Well she says she is Rimini-bound. Is that like Morocco bound only without the couscous?

Kevin Musgrove said...

It's like being egg-bound. The result of one too many Babycham enemas.