Friday, June 19

GARDEN OF DELIGHTS


With the advent of summer, the garden has burst into life. I was careful to wait until the winter frosts were over to prune my bush. I have been back and forth to the garden centre to stock up with some leafy perennials to plug the holes in my herbaceous border: Fallopia, Clitoris, Cystitis ... not to mention Fuchsia. So many lovely bushes to choose from. I am having some trouble with moss in my cracks, that happens when they're not given a good scrubbing from one year to the next.



I am a bit of a green goddess, as you know. I even compiled the Gardener's Year Calendar for the Sunday Times one year. 1994 I think it was. Plants respond to me. I'm sure they're aware of a maternal presence taking care of them. When I moved in just over a year ago, the garden was sad and neglected, and a bit of a waste land. This summer, with very little extra work, it's been transformed into a bijou urban courtyard garden. The peonies have grown bigger and flowered earlier and more profusely than last year, after minimal pruning the climbing rose has joined the Ramblers' Association and gone off to explore next door's garden, and my fuchsia is about to bust out all over.

Is this Ena Harkness?

Although I don't have enough room to grow vegetables, I have got a busy little herb garden going. One pot of mint has turned into a small forest, and another trough holds a mixture of chives, parsley, basil, dill, coriander and rosemary all fighting to out-do each other. The aroma is delightful when you're sat out in the garden smoking a fag.


With the fallout from the financial crisis, growing your own makes ever more sense. Even Her Maj has got an allotment behind the coal shed at Buck House. You'd think her son would send her up an organic mixed bag from Cornwall once a week wouldn't you? I have just joined an organic fruit & vegbox scheme, for 11 euros I get a large mixed bag of produce, grown as nature intended in sunny Flanders and delivered to my office every Friday.



Gardening shows will perforce return to our screens, with hopefully some hunky new presenters. In 1996 I mourned with the nation's matrons when the saintly -- and yes, rather sexy (to women of a certain age) -- Geoff Hamilton went to the great potting shed in the sky. I never took to that ageing organic hippie Bob Flowerdew and his stringy pigtail. Monty Don had something of the dissolute aristocrat about him which I found strangely alluring. As for Alan Titchmarsh, his scone-like features and adenoidal whine on Ground Force were a small price to pay for the sight of Big Tommy Walsh in his boots and leather toolbelt, and his enigmatic silent helper, ponytailed Will ("Willie") Shanahan. Tommy's Willie was often in the background, but once or twice was allowed to say a few words. Being from the deep south of Ireland, he was incomprehensible. And of course there was that dimwit Kiwi bloke with the man-boobs, Charlie Dimmock, who I never really fancied.




My favourite gardener of all is that bit of posh totty Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.(oh dear, I just know this is going to elicit a harrumph from Aunty M, apparently he thrust a fish in her face once). I can't resist an Old Etonian in wellies, especially when he's got shares in Tesco. He doesn't fart about with decorative stuff and goes straight for what you can eat, but the way he broke down in tears over those chickens made me want to ruffle his hair and clasp him to my bosom. With his air of a petulant spoiled brat, and the bossy Matron in me, we could do things with castor oil that Enid Blyton wouldn't have countenanced. Bedtime would mean bedtime, and no mistake young Master Hugh.


But I must settle for Gardener's Question Time on Radio 4. I dream of waking up and finding Tommy and his Willie giving my bush a good seeing-to, or Hugh with his huge cockerel flapping in my cottage garden. Instead I find a pair of tartan long johns hanging out to dry on my lavandula.


17 comments:

Ms Scarlet said...

Apologies: off-topic, are you reading 'What a Carve Up'?.
One of my favourite books! I finished 'The Rain Before it Falls' this afternoon.
Sx

Ms Scarlet said...

P.S Sounds like you have a few intimate problems in your bush...
Sx

Gorilla Bananas said...

My advice is to let the whole thing grow wild without any pruning or snipping, milady. Create a little jungle and lose yourself in it.

Pat said...

I've been waiting for over a year for news of your al fresco and am totally jealous of your peonies. At last I have got one to grow and bud and now the bud has cankered from within.
Did you see Hugh on 'Have I got news for you?' I think they ganged up on him just because he was an old Etonian. He can't help it.

Y

savannah said...

how lovely, sugar! i would so love peonies in my backyard, but sadly, i have a deadly thumb AND we're going to be doing some building, so, no garden for me yet. xoxo

Kevin Musgrove said...

Very nice.

I can't warm to the new Gardener's World team any more than I could to the last. But I'm not saying that out loud 'cos I don't want to join the gang of elderly harrumphers who seem to be populating "Amateur Gardening" these days.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Scarlet: well deduced! Jonathan Coe is brilliant isn't he. He believes everything that's gone wrong in the UK since 1979 is the fault of Maggie Thatcher, and I'm inclined to agree.

GB, judicious pruning leads to a bushier bush. The jungle is so lush because of you lot all munching away on the foliage.

Pat, the peonies are magnificent and with zero help from me. I'm very lucky to have any flowers at all as it's a small walled north-east facing garden. Hugh didn't look too fazed on HIGNFY, an Etonian education prepares you for many a sling and arrow.

Savannah, you can always go for a walk in the Garden of Good and Evil anyway. Your city sounds lush, I must come and visit one day.

Kev, that Carol, 'er from oop north, now turns out in makeup and earrings, but her fingernails are still as filthy. How long before a series of "Celebrity Gardeners" when B-list soap actors trying to re-start their careers will be tasked to try and grow a row of runner beans from scratch?

Krimo said...

Great variety of plants, you've got there...
You could always carry your garden in your hat.

Madame DeFarge said...

I'm aiming for the wilderness look, with unmitigated success. Maybe I should replace M. DeFarge with a man who does.

Anonymous said...

Pour la mousse "Algimouss" ! Après avoir protégé les plantes ,au pulvérisateur et laisser agir .

Dehors dans le jardin fumant une sèche ?? Une cibiche aux herbes aromatiques ?

Le tartan aux senteurs de lavande ça le fait bien ,il ne manque plus que les Cigales !!

Bon baiser of the France

Gadjo Dilo said...

Hurrah! My newly renovated garden is also now starting it's summer season: fushias, Thunbergias, cornflowers, Nemesia... and the balsams and snapdragons waiting in the wings. Tra la la. I loved Radio 4's Gardeners' Question Time: Flowerdew, Leadwood, Swithenbank, Cushnie... I fancied they sounded like the names of Shakespeare's Rude Mechanicals. On TV I was a fan of that Geoff Boycott of the alpine house, Geoffrey Smith. Anybody remember him?

Pat said...

You must do something about your Northern accent.
BTW nemesia is an excellent bet - even for me.

Kevin Musgrove said...

Geoffrey Smith, yes indeed Gadjo, a fine man.

Roy Lancaster was on today's GQT talking about his favourite Daphne.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Krimo, what a shame, I could have had one hat made to cover me for Royal Ascot AND the Chelsea Flower Show. I'll get on the blower to Madame Chapeau immediately, although I'd be a bit worried about the legality of some of the plants she'd put in my hat garden.

Mme D, I'll get Vi Hornblower to give you her Stanko's number, he gardens in just a tiny pair of shorts. Vi likes to hold his dibber while he is working.

Crabbers, merci pour le tuyau sur Algimouss. Des clopes à la pivoine, ca fait voir la vie en rose!

Gadj, there is a Shakespeare garden in the Bois de Boulogne in Paris, which features all the plants mentioned in the Bard's plays. The expat Brits put on al fresco performances there, all very naice.

Pat, ayup our kid, nowt wrong with my vowels, ah were brought up on't Coronation Street. To tell you the truth I had an impenetrable Geordie accent when I was very small, until it was flattened out into an impenetrable cockney accent.

Kev, and who is Roy Lancaster's favourite Daphne? Me or that dreadful Fairfax woman?

Lynx said...

I was just wondering, what is the French for double entendre?

Pat said...

Tee hee Lynx!

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Hm, the names of some of those plants are all new to me. I must google. I wonder what I'll come up with.

Tee hee indeed.