Radio 4's Book of the Week next week is comedian Arthur Smith's autobiography, which has just been published. He is reading extracts every day at 9.45 a.m. and again at half past midnight, UK time. It is a well-written and courageous work of brutal honesty, to judge by the extracts already published in The Times Online. And I believe I feature in it briefly, although I am not the Daphne of the title. I knew him from schooldays, in fact he was a major influence on me. If it hadn't been for Arthur, or Brian as he was known to the Lower Sixth, I could have ended up in Sidcup (or worse - Chislehurst!) for the rest of my life. I may even have ended up working in Streatham Tax Office and still be looking in vain for the non-existent Daphne Fairfax.
As I am unable to listen to the broadcast, being either at work or fast asleep at the hours it is going out, and cannot listen to BBC iPlayer outside of the UK, would someone listen to it for me and give me some feedback? I don't know if he'll read out the chapter about his schooldays. In the interests of protecting my identity, I think he has called me "Babs" or something equally unlikely.
I'll share with you something not a lot of people know about Brian. At the school disco he used to do a mean Mick Jagger impersonation, which kicked off with a long run up and a spectacular cartwheel into the centre of the dance floor, landing on his feet already Jaggering to the opening bars of "Brown Sugar", while I held his pint dutifully. When I heard that he'd done a show called "Arthur Smith sings Leonard Cohen" a few years ago, I sniffled slightly, as I remembered listening to "Songs of Love and Hate" over and over again on the mono pickup in his room when we were supposed to be revising for A-levels, and how he used to sing "Suzanne" to me lugubriously as we walked home from the Plume of Feathers in Greenwich. Sunday lunchtimes were spent in the smoky darkness of the Greenwich Theatre jazz club (nice) while outside the sun shone bright on Mrs Porter and on her daughter, they washed their feet in soda water. If I can still remember huge chunks of T.S. Eliot it is probably thanks to Brian (as well as Miss Bennett, my English teacher). All the songs on the sidebar this week were chosen with him in mind.
I can't help thinking, though, that he picked the name "Daphne Fairfax" in his stand-up routine as a tribute to Yours Truly.

Arthur Smith
Grumpy Old Man, Entertainer, Writer
and Survivor Extraordinaire
Grumpy Old Man, Entertainer, Writer
and Survivor Extraordinaire

11 comments:
I saw him on the One Show last night, I've always liked him... and they showed a pic of him in younger days with wild curly hair.
A comedian also went to my school and he often mentions it in his routine. I didn't ever share his bedroom though!
Sx
Daphne, the minute, the second, the very moment, I saw the title of his tome (last Sat.) I thought of you! I assumed you were the Daphne in the title. At the v. least, it's an homage, surely?
As you know I twigged immediately. i think it is a lovely tribute and when you have your masterpiece published you can return the compliment.
I'm impressed by the association with greatness. Arthur should be proud to be linked to you, the doyenne of the blogosphere. I'll tune in next week and think of you.
Mm-hm, Madame DeFarge is right, you are the doyenne of the blogosphere. I'd love to read what he wrote about you. Does he know about your blog? Oooh, as Pat said, your masterpiece. With your wit and style, your book would be a treat.
great memories
Nice. I won't be able to listen to those BBC broadcast either, unfortunately. You forget to mention his very interesting dad!
If I manage to remember, I'll try to rip and burn it (or whatever the appropriate terminology is) for you. Personally, I would have said that Chislehurst was much superior to Sidcup (they built the Sidcup bypass for a reason you know), but maybe things were different in your time!
Scarlie, do tell! Who was it? I can't think of any comedian who went to St Trinian's ... ? Was it Eddie Izzard?
Mrs P, perhaps he was subconsciously paying me a compliment.
PI, my memoirs would run to several volumes. My life is so dramatic, most people wouldn't believe it.
Mme Defarge, I'm sure Arthur would be honoured to do a guest blog. Perhaps I'll ask him.
GG, I bet he isn't famous in Guyana! He does know about the blog, but I don't think he reads it on a regular basis. The Queen does, though.
Myra, indeed they are. It's only when you look back you realize how much fun you had in your teenage years. It was all a bit angst-ridden and spotty at the time.
Gadj, yes Smith senior was a POW in Colditz during the war, and became the nicest copper in London after it. Brian is thinking of writing a book about him, I hope he does, he was a grand fellow with a wry humour that his son has inherited.
Lynx, thanks but don't worry, I'm going to buy the audiobook next time I'm in UK. Where I grew up, Chislehurst was something to aspire to. We weren't encouraged to get too ambitious. I once had to write an essay about where I saw myself in adulthood, and I wrote about driving around foreign capitals at the wheel of a red sports car. I was brought down to earth in no uncertain terms. I wish that teacher could have seen me whizzing round Paris in my red Renault 5 - the moral of that rather long story being, don't let the bastards grind you down. As they say on "Britain's got talent" -- follow the dream!
Hola Daphne!!
is a lovely story. Who is he?
besos
Manuel
Manuel - He is the Mayor of Balham. Probably a bit left-wing for you. I saw him once harangue a member of the audience whose only sin appeared to be that he was called Franco.
Post a Comment