Wednesday, October 31

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD



Hallowe'en, or All Souls' Eve, the first example of Irish marketing before replica pubs, Riverdance, St Patrick's Day and planet-saving rock stars. There is something ironic about one of the most Catholic nations in the world snatching the rights to a religious festival out of the Church's hands and turning it into a worldwide moneyspinner. I bet every 31st October the Pope slaps his thigh and says "Verdammt! I vish ve'd zought of zis!".

The real significance of Hallowe'en is to mark the beginning of winter, the symbolic death of the earth before it's resurrection around Eastertime. Did you see what they did there? The bible was just a very complicated calendar, with pictures. The earth's temporary retreat is symbolized by celebrating death, decay and everything associated with it, notably ghosts, since All Hallows' Eve was, according to the church, the night when all the departed come back for one night only. Which is where the pumpkins come in. With the flesh of this seasonal and cheap vegetable used as a warming soup to keep out the cold, their empty shells were used as lanterns to welcome the souls back home. In Polish cemeteries hundreds of votive candles flicker on the graves, making the place look a bit like a nightclub. A late late show, you could say.


If it were true that the dead return to earth on Hallowe'en, you could have the dinner party of your dreams. You'd have to book well in advance, as I imagine lots of people would try to bag P.G. Wodehouse, Douglas Adams, or Sherlock Holmes. The Beatles could finally do that reunion concert with John and George present – for one night only – and Las Vegas would charge astronomical fees for the annual Elvis extravaganza. And when they said at the end « Elvis has left the building », they really mean it, folks.


I do hope it's not true. I would hardly want Harold back. And who knows in what guise he might return – he was such a fantasist when he was alive, he could come back as one of his favourite personae, such as Che Guevara, and you wouldn't know if the shade was the real Che or Harold messing about. Although there were always a few telltale signs. I don't think the real Che ever wore a beige cardigan, for example, or whistled the theme from Match of the Day. Or he might come back as Darth Vader. Or Sven, the nordic ski champion. Honestly, sometimes it was like living with the Village People.


Harold always enjoyed Hallowe'en immensely, as there was something of the night about him at the best of times. His Hallowe'en dinner always kicked off with a Bloody Mary, followed by a saignant steak (no garlic) and a bottle of Graves. And a Dame Blanche for dessert. And for some reason I always woke up the next day with a sore neck.


Please don't come back tonight Harold dear. I'm having Oscar Wilde, Spike Milligan and Jimi Hendrix round for dinner.


12 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

The seasonal festival wouldn't work these days, those in the southern hemisphere would complain about 'northism'. Harold had the right idea by exploring his werewolf fantasies, but the festival really belongs to the witches. I'm giving a prize to the best turned out witchy.

Cream said...

This afternoon, K. stocked up on sweets for the trick-or-treaters. It's all going too "American" for me.

Personally I only believe in one kind of spirit, a good Armagnac and maybe the odd bifteck saignant.

BTW. I have never driven in Algiers and have no deathwish to start now. That's for suicide-drivers!

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

I can only assume the paltry response to that excellent post (which took me several minutes of hard work) is due to the holiday weekend. I know for a fact that Spanish Goth will be busy. I'm seriously considering giving up blog writing and selling my talents to the advertising industry for hard cash. Pearls before swine.

GB I fear you have been taken in by Philip Pullman. Witches are not meant to be sexy. They are old crones with warts and hooked noses. A bit like Ronnie Wood in a dress.

Cream, I used to buy a tin of Fishermen's Friends and wrap them up in Quality Street papers. The little blighters didn't come back again. The maddest drivers are in Warsaw - growing up with the Hallowe'en tradition they have no fear of death. That's why they made such good fighter pilots during the war.

Romeo Morningwood said...

This is an excellent post.

It is bizarre that such Celtic Pagan convention (Zo-ombie Zo-ombie) could be implemented right under the nose of the Holy Roman Church of Rome..how in the Samhain did they get away with that?

I lurve all of your guest lists, wouldn't that be splendid. I'd invite Peter Sellers, Groucho Marx, Oscar, and Graham Chapman.
I would have plenty of strong Rutland *Tea on hand.

Next year I would like to go to New Orleans for Hallowe'en...
or Haiti...
no New Orleans...they don't have real Zombies.

(*The Rutles drink of choice)

The Aunt said...

Sorry you're not feeling Mae West. Hugs from upstairs. Which is a right mess.

Daphne said...

I do hope that your dinner party went well but I fear that it probably didn't: I suspect you couldn't get a word in with those three guests amongst the witty banter and music and have ended up feeling very frustrated with a thumping headache today.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

HE, two of your guests were absolute pigs in real life - Sellers and Chapman - and would have spoiled the evening wanting to be centre stage. Groucho would have sat puffing on his cigar and stirring it up even more with a wicked grin. Oscar would have walked out declaring it all to be beneath him.

Aunty, thank you dear. I'm sneezing and feeling rather wan. I would not have been good company with a party of the living. Your departing guests were very good, no fights in the stairwell or anything.

Daphne! Welcome! A lovely Yorkshire lass with a lovely name. I had to cancel the dinner party as I was unwell. My guests snorted. "Unwell? We're DEAD!" said Douglas. As they were clutching bottles of wine and were only on shore leave, so to speak, for one night a year, I sent them upstairs to Aunty Marianne's. I suspect it was a bit tame for Oscar, but P.G. said he enjoyed himself immensely.

Pat said...

Please give my love to Jimi( I love his Paley Gap) and Oscar- I think it's appalling that his appendage was vandalised in Pere la Chaise. I'm afraid Spike and I never hit it off.
I love puds but don't know that one. Do tell. I'm with Cream about Halloween.
I hope you are feeling better. Have you had a flu jab?
Lovely post. Got ;me thinking on a dreeam dinner party with the dead. MMMMMh!

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Pat, I wasn't familiar with that piece of Mr Hendrix's oeuvre, and am listening to it now on Deezer (another good idea from Mr Cream!) and imagining you playing air guitar.

A Dame Blanche is simply vanilla ice cream with hot dark chocolate sauce poured over it - it bears a vague resemblance to a White Lady abbess or nun of some sort, but is much more sinful. Eating one while listening to Mr Hendrix would be the height of decadence.

Adam, I've told you before, you're not welcome here. If I wanted my abs flattening I wouldn't be describing a Dame Blanche with such relish would I, stoopid.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Can someone call an osteopath, I've just put my back out.

Pat said...

OK you're an osteopath!

Anonymous said...

Suite à une panne de serveur, comme les clignotants des voitures belge un coup ça marche un coup ça ne marche plus !!
Ce qui explique que je suis encore à retardement, Tout est dit... zut !!
Excellent ! Très bon et j'ajouterai très chouette !
Tien !justement la fameuse "dame blanche ", est en faite la chouette-effraie, qui effraie les automobilistes les nuits de pleine lune !
Harold, devait-être un sacré coquin "entre chien et loup "( A la tombée du jour )??