Friday, March 9

DEATH AND THE NILE

As anyone who knows me will attest, I am a bit slow on the uptake when it comes to modern music. My most spectacular case of missing the boat was in 1986 when I "discovered" two handsome young men in tight white shorts prancing about on the telly, only to find it was Wham!'s farewell concert. As a result I usually just stick to what I know, which amounts to the Rolling Stones and Tamla Motown and some obscure ethnic stuff.


So nobody will be surprised to learn that I have just
"discovered" a band from the 1980's which I think is just fab. They are called The Blue Nile, a trio from Glasgow fronted by a hot Scot called Paul Buchanan (who probably doesn't look much like this any more but, well, phwoarrr anyway). Apparently they didn't make many albums, but I saw them on a DVD of the best of Jools' Holland's "Later" programmes which I borrowed from the local Flemish library. I had managed to miss out on every series of "Later" over the whole ten years it was running, either through being in the wrong country or it being on too late at night. Or perhaps it clashed with Match of the Day. Anyway, if you haven't heard them, try and find one of their albums or download it, they were stunning. Buchanan reminds me of a British Lindsay Buckingham (one of the singers with Fleetwood Mac for those of you who have had even less of a life than me). If any of my readers from North of the border have any idea what they're doing now, I'd be interested to know.


The other artiste I've recently discovered is slightly more contemporary but apparently has been around for ages too. Antony and the Johnsons is actually just one person, and a rather odd bird he is too. He is an American transvestite, has a beautiful, haunting voice, and sings moving ballads with extremely weird lyrics, often about death, but don't let that put you off.


And just to show you what I mean about The Blue Nile, here's an extract from the very edition of "Later" in which I discovered them. I do love the way Jools Holland still refers to "LP's". He must be almost as old as me.







8 comments:

Pat said...

That's cool man with a capital K! Did you ever come across The Average White Band? And why do you never answer my questions?

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Probably because I don't know the answers! I was a big fan of the AWB. Weren't they Scottish too? Och, they're a talented lot up north. Glad you liked Blue Nile. I can't get that song oot ma heid.

Cream said...

Must be the beginning of the music season! I've just posted some too.
Another song that I cannot get out of my head is Nina Simone singing the Bee Gees' "To Love Somebody"... I know it by heart and the next time I come across a Kareoke machine, I shall stand up and sing it. Earplugs at the ready!!!

Gorilla Bananas said...

Damn, I wanted to hear the transvestite sing. You couldn't get away with that kind of thing in my neck of the jungle.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

It's those African bishops I'm afraid, who insist that batting for the other side is an ABOMINASHUN. Coming from guys who dress up in long frocks and funny hats, I think that's a bit rich.

Sheridan, fetch my handbag, dear, will you?

MKWM said...

They're fab and phwoarrr indeed. I'm also missing the boat as far as modern music is concerned.

Incidentally, I also like rognons à la moutarde. Daphne, we do have a lot in common!

Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Have you seen this, Daphne?
http://troubled-diva.com/labels/rednoseday.html

Mr Farty said...

Heard of the Blue Nile, but can't say I've heard them play. Till now. No bad.

Lindsay Buckingham off Fleetword Mac. I knew there were two "new" members of the group, the other one being Stevie Nicks. "Stevie," says I, "that's a boy's name. So Lindsay must be the hot babe." Asked a mate to tape her latest LP for me. Played it back. "Shome mishtake shurely?"