Frontier Editor seems to have figured it out. He's been posting YouTube clips of some senior hotties such as Errol Brown and Tom Jones in their heyday shaking their thang. Tom Jones, there is a man for all seasons. I saw him recently on the Jonathan Ross show, and although a grandfather, he has still got a certain je-ne-sais-quoi, although I don't really know what. He wasn't even dancing, just looking like he would shag anything in a skirt. And do it well. Even Jonathan Ross was looking a bit flustered.There is a poster in the Brussels metro at the moment showing a man of advanced years wearing 1970's disco shirt and white John Travolta trousers, reclining in what he obviously thinks is a come-hither position. The product is not immediately apparent, but I suspect it is some variation on viagra. I'm afraid it makes me titter every time I see it. He just doesn't have it, you see. The oomph. Even dosed up to the eyeballs with viagra, he wouldn't do it for me.
What many men, young and old, are lacking these days is CHARM. The ability to hold your gaze and make you feel like you are the only woman in the world, even if he is just asking you to do some photocopying. The confidence to invade your personal space to a degree that would constitute sexual harrassment by anyone else and get away with it. Ultimately, it all depends who's doing the harrassing. And who's being harrassed. There was a time when a wolf-whistle from a building site would have me tossing my head contemptuously and stomping off with a scowl. Now, on the rare occasions it may happen, I not only stop and graciously acknowledge the compliment, but bring them sandwiches the next day with individual letters of thanks. If I go to Italy and I don't get my bottom pinched, I ask the travel agent for my money back. If an attractive man invades my personal space, I capitulate immediately and surrender. True charm, gentlemen, is when you can make an older woman feel 20 years younger. Get a Tom Jones DVD, boys, watch and learn.
Steve McQueen,
1930-1980
27 comments:
Paul Newman. Intelligent, talented, funny, sexy, and still with us.
Daffers, you are the vixen in my dreams.I luv your bag, shoes and hair. Let me light your cigarette.
There's not much eye contact during bottom-pinching, Milady, but I suppose it's better than a poke in the earhole.
Tom Jones told his wife that he couldn't refuse any woman who wanted him in case she thought he was gay. Pretty clever excuse for infidelity, eh?
I'm learning so much.
Steve McQueen, to think he'd still be with us if wasn't for those damn Nazis.
f:lux, Newman was always a bit too perfect and calm, I think it was Steve's edginess that made him so attractive. Or is that just my maternal instinct?
Banana dear, you may dance attendance on my every whim. Consider yourself Nureyev to my Margot Fonteyn.
Bananas (oh this is getting confusing, too many bananas), a poke in the earhole can be quite a come-on, depending on what you are poked with. And who is doing the poking.
Kieran, I always thought he smoked Camels, but I stand corrected.
McQueen's not for me but I've got a thing for Patrick Stewart. And that footie referee who's retired now, Collina. And Yul Brynner. And Ed Harris.
Ummmm. Bald men, apparently.
I do wish these stitches would heal faster.
Well get on over to Frontier Editor Aunty and have a leer at gorgeous baldy Errol Brown in his very tight pants.
Yes I've put another picture up. I've got my make-up on now.
When I was a gel i used to think Tom Jones was so ugly he was beautiful. Now I think he's just plain ugly.
George Brent - no looker but he could charm me out of my tree.
I wish i could remember the name of the actress - she's about 70 and was recently propositioned by Colin Farrel. Anyway she was walking down Oxford Street and a man repairing the road shouted sexist remarks. She went into Selfridges fuming and when she came out shouted'And how large is your penis then?' Then realised she had come out of a different exit on a different road.
Sounds like Honor Blackman. Still a cracking bit of stuff I might say. As is Francesca Annis who at 60 has pulled Ralph Fiennes, 43! Hope for us all. Will have to google George Brent and get back to you.
No it isn't Honor - much plainer than that- she's known for it . Used to be very friendly wirh Alec Guiness before his demise. Great actress. Sadly the last I heard Francesca lost Ralph to another actress - the swine!
The hat, the hat, I love the hat! Oh my god.
Yes - the new pickie suits you well.
(erm - I guess ... seeing as I have no idea who you are)
Pat, I’m not sure how to break the news. George Brent was a former IRA guerrilla (no, GB, not a GORilla) who served in Michael Collins’ assassination squads at an early age (1919-22) before fleeing to the US and becoming an actor. He was also married five times. He was either a bit of a roughneck, or a hero of the liberation, depending on how Oirish you are.
ExAfrica, I have no idea who I am either half the time.
Carmen Miranda, apparently.
Hey, d'ya think she ever slept with George Brent?
That is extraordinary but at least shows he wasn't just your dumb Hollywood type!
The woman's name came to me in the night - not one that leaps trippingly from the lips -Eileen Atkins.
I am so pleased Mr Bananas said 'earhole'.
Pat, how serendipitous. I'm glad I've bumped into you like this. For two reasons: one, I left your and the others' comments hanging while I went walkabout for a fortnight, and two, because I was once passing Selfridges when a clearly very angry Eileen Atkins stormed up to me and demanded to know...
'Oh I like your eyes,
And I like your lips'
Would you like my 'ips,
To 'ipsnotize you?
I I I I...'
Daphne you do know all the words to all of Carmen's songs don't you?
She was great and a tiny bit cross eyed.
Will be round soon Dr Maroon.
"I yi yi yi yi yi like you vairy much,
I yi yi yi yi yi thing you're grrrand,
Something something something something touch, I yi yi yi yi yi yi like you vairy much" She was known as the Brazilian Bombshell, I shall more likely be dubbed the Bruxelloise Bomb Shelter.
Daphne, darling, you look divine in your new pic. But tell me, how do you cope with fruit-flies during the summer months?
I expect you have some sort of oiled young man in sandals and an enormous furry fan to waft them away.
Yes, his name is Juan, apparently he used to work for you.
I think Tom's hair is a bit suspect these days, bit like a rusted Brillo pad. Steve was gorgeous, they say it was asbestos in his garage/racing cars that killed him.
I'm with you on the charm though, but don't get me started on how people don't stand for old ladies any more.I'd happily sit on their laps.
Mme. Wayne-Bough;
Thank you for directing the additional traffic to my humble center of ramblings and detritus.
While I may not be the most charming of sorts I think that, having spent three rather formative years in Cornwall, that I can appreciate Mr. Jones' general ebullience and quality of life.
As for Mr. McQueen, I would recommend to your readers and acquaintances that they become reaquainted with his film "The Sand Pebbles" as perhaps his best effort as an actor.
If I were still in a position to do so, I myself still would prefer to exert a more subdued, Anthony Hopkins-like charm. But that's just me.
Please drop by again and impart a gentle shame to my American ways.
Say what you like about the septic tanks, they have lovely manners.
McQueen smoked 60 a day. He died of lung cancer. Draw your own conclusions.
Aaah. Men. My favourite topic. I can go on and on...
I've never seen Tom Jones perform but I listened...really listened to him on the radio one day, and boy he can sing.
Oh, that's a lovely new photo of you, by the way!
Don't you all wear hats like that in the Caribbean? You should see me dance the rumba. Da-chicka-chicka-CHICK, Da-chicka-chicka-CHICK .... or is that the conga?
Hats in the Caribbean? No no, they make the head too hot.
Women who walk in the sun shade themselves with...tah dahhh...
...umbrellas!
Post a Comment